2017 JOHN H. FOSTER SCHOOL
Sponsored by the Virginia Association of Surveyors & the Virginia Surveyors Foundation, Ltd.
Dates: Tuesday, July 25th to Friday, July 28th, 2017
8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. every day (Except for 7/27, PS Class will start at 7:30am)
The four day school features two distinct separate courses of study and review for those preparing for the “Fundamentals of Surveying” (FS) and
“Principals & Practice of Surveying” state administered exams.
FS Course Topics
- Basic Survey Math Review, Computing Coordinates, Conventional Traverse Computations, Taping Corrections, Error Sources, Horizontal &
Vertical Curves, Spirals, Colonial States Boundary Law, Public Lands, Predetermined Area, Riparian Rights, Types of Conveyances, Legal
PS Course Topics
- Procedures for performing a boundary survey, APELSCIDLA Board Standards of Practice and plat & description requirements, Boundary
Evidence and Legal Principles, Fundamentals of Photogrammetry, Basics of Geodesy, GPS and The Virginia Harn Network, Virginia State
Plane Coordinates & Higher Order Control, Virginia Erosion Control Handbook, Chesapeake Bay Act, Land Surveyor Drainage Review
(Runoff coefficients & Tc, Rational Method, Culverts, Ditches and more).
- Yeoanny Venetsanos - LS (VA), Senior Geospatial Analyst, Prince William County, Virginia
- Greg Perkins LS (VA), Leica Geosystems, Inc., Richmond, Virginia
- Vickie McEntire Anglin - LS (VA), County Surveyor, Fairfax County Department of Public Works, Fairfax, Virginia
- Danny Williams, LS (VA), CFM, VDOT Hampton Roads District Survey Manager, Suffolk, Virginia
- Douglas Potts, LS-B (VA), Land Surveyor, Virginia Dominion Power, Richmond, Virginia
- Larry Brownley, LS-B (VA), Land Surveyor, Bay Design Group, Gloucester, Virginia
- Chris Cartwright- Associate Professor- Engineering, Tidewater Community College, VA Beach, Virginia
Classroom: West Grace Street Student Housing-North, 830 W.Grace Street, Classrooms: 1030GC, 1030CA & 1030J; Campus of Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia 23284. VCU Contact: Cristelle Brown, Program Coordinator, 804-827-2385, firstname.lastname@example.org
VCU has overnight rooms available onsite in Johnson Hall. Lodging consists of double occupancy dorm rooms in an on campus college dormitory. Linens are provided by the college, but you will need to bring your own pillow. All persons attending the John Foster School must complete a few necessary forms that can be found by, click here. Completed forms should be faxed to the VAS office at 844-878-4973 with a note saying ATT Khea Adams, and emailed to VCU at email@example.com by July 17th or brought in - person to VCU on July 24th if staying overnight 7/24.
Commuters will be provided with a name tag and access card during check-in in order to park in the West Broad Street Deck, which is less than one block away from West Grace North Residence Hall where classes will be taking place.
$625-Per Course/ per person WITHOUT onsite lodging for four nights. Fee includes a Continental Breakfast, Lunch, Breaks and Handouts every day. Registration deadline July 17, 2017
$725- Per Course/ per person WITH onsite lodging for four nights. Fee includes Continental Breakfast, Lunch, Breaks and Handouts every day. Room assignments by VAS prior to Check in & Key Pickup
Partial or Full Scholarships may be available to Virginia Residents. Click here to visit our Scholarships page, and go to "John Foster School" Grant. School transcripts are not required. July 20, 2017 is the deadline for filing applications for consideration. The Trust will determine the amount of scholarship based on the total applications and then forward that money to the John Foster School Administrators in the applicant's name. If you have applied for the John Foster Scholarship and are signing up for the John Foster School, complete the registration and select "pay by check" in the payment section. Do NOT send your payment until VAS notifies you if you received a scholarship.