2019 JOHN H. FOSTER SCHOOL
"13th Year of Providing Review for Young Surveyors"
Sponsored by the Virginia Association of Surveyors, Inc. & the Virginia Educational Trust
Dates: Tuesday, July 23rd to Friday, July 26th, 2019
8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. every day
The four day school features two distinct separate courses of study and review for those preparing for the “Fundamentals of Surveying” (FS) and “Principals & Practice of Surveying” state administered exams.
The last day to apply for the John Foster School is Friday, July 12
FS Course Topics
- Basic Survey Math Review, Computing Coordinates, Conventional Traverse Computations, Taping Corrections, Error Sources, Horizontal & Vertical Curves, Spirals, Colonial States Boundary Law, Public Lands, Predetermined Area, Riparian Rights, Types of Conveyances, Legal Descriptions.
PS Course Topics
- Procedures for performing a boundary survey, APELSCIDLA Board Standards of Practice and plat & description requirements, Boundary Evidence and Legal Principles, Fundamentals of Photogrammetry, Basics of Geodesy, GPS and The Virginia Harn Network, Virginia State Plane Coordinates & Higher Order Control, Virginia Erosion Control Handbook, Chesapeake Bay Act, Land Surveyor Drainage Review (Runoff coefficients & Tc, Rational Method, Culverts, Ditches and more).
- Yeoanny Venetsanos - LS (VA), Senior Geospatial Analyst, County of Fairfax, Fairfax, Virginia
- Mark White - PLS, Duncan Parnell, North Carolina
- Lisa Goodwin - LS (VA), VIKA Virginia, LLC, Tysons, Virginia
- Jan W. Briede- Ph. D, Training Specialist, Sr., Virginia DEQ, Richmond, Virginia
- Larry Brownley, LS-B (VA),Draper Adan, VA. Beach
- Douglas Potts - LS-B (VA), Dominion Energy, Richmond, VA
- Chris Cartwright- Associate Professor, Engineering, Tidewater Community College, VA Beach, Virginia
Classroom: West Grace Street Student Housing-North, 830 W.Grace Street, Classrooms: 1030GC, 1030CA & 1030J; Campus of Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia 23284. VCU Contact: Christina Draper, Program Manager, (804) 828-8831, email@example.com
VCU has overnight rooms available onsite in Rhoads Hall. Lodging consists of double occupancy dorm rooms in an on-campus college dormitory. Linens are provided by the college, but you will need to bring your own pillow(s)!!!. Registrations for onsite rooms are included as part of the overall registration for the School and should be made through the VAS office by 7/03/2019. All persons attending the John Foster School must complete a few necessary forms that can be found by, click here. Completed forms should be faxed to the VAS office at 844-878-4973 with a note saying ATT Khea Adams, and emailed to VCU at firstname.lastname@example.org by July 3rd or brought in - person to VCU on July 22nd if staying overnight 7/22.
Daily parking passes will be provided on the morning of 7/23 for use at the West Broad Street Deck, which is less than one block away from West Grace North Residence Hall where classes will be taking place.
$625-Per Course/ per person WITHOUT onsite lodging. Fee includes a Continental Breakfast, Lunch, Breaks and Handouts every day. Registration deadline July 12, 2019
$725- Per Course/ per person WITH onsite lodging for four nights. Fee includes, Continental Breakfast, Lunch, Breaks and Handouts every day. Room assignments by VCU a week prior to Check in & Key pickup.
Partial or Full Scholarships maybe available to Virginia Residents. Click here to visit our Scholarships page. Only fill out the applicable sections. School transcripts are not required. The Trust will determine the amount of scholarship based on the total applications and then forward that money to the John Foster School Administrators in the applicant's name. If you have applied for the John Foster Scholarship and are signing up for the John Foster School, complete the registration and select "pay by check" in the payment section. DO NOT send your payment until VAS notifies you if you received a scholarship.