2020 JOHN H. FOSTER SCHOOL
"14th Year of Providing Exam Review for Young Surveyors"
Sponsored by the Virginia Association of Surveyors, Inc. & the Virginia Educational Trust
Dates: Tuesday, June 23rd to Friday, June 26th, 2020
8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. every day
The four-day school features two distinct separate courses of study and review for those preparing for the “Fundamentals of Surveying” (FS) and “Principals & Practice of Surveying” state administered exams.
NOTE: For now canceled due to the Coronavirus, but the Committee is looking at other times and locations over the next six months
The last day to apply for the John Foster School is Friday, June 16
FS Course Topics
- Basic Survey Math Review, Computing Coordinates, Conventional Traverse Computations, Taping Corrections, Error Sources, Horizontal & Vertical Curves, Spirals, Colonial States Boundary Law, Public Lands, Predetermined Area, Riparian Rights, Types of Conveyances, Legal Descriptions.
* All students need to purchase or bring an HP35s calculator with them
PS Course Topics
- Procedures for performing a boundary survey, APELSCIDLA Board Standards of Practice and plat & description requirements, Boundary Evidence and Legal Principles, Fundamentals of Photogrammetry, Basics of Geodesy, GPS and The Virginia Harn Network, Virginia State Plane Coordinates & Higher Order Control, Virginia Erosion Control Handbook, Chesapeake Bay Act, Land Surveyor Drainage Review (Runoff coefficients & Tc, Rational Method, Culverts, Ditches and more).
- Yeoanny Venetsanos - LS (VA), Senior Geospatial Analyst, County of Fairfax, Fairfax, Virginia
- Derrick Barnhill - Geospatial PM, Woolpert, Inc., Chesapeake, Virginia
- Lisa Goodwin - LS (VA), VIKA Virginia, LLC, Tysons, Virginia
- Jan W. Briede- Ph. D, Training Specialist, Sr., Virginia DEQ, Richmond, Virginia
- Larry Brownley, LS-B (VA),Draper Adan, VA. Beach
- Douglas Potts - LS-B (VA), Dominion Energy, Richmond, VA
- Greg Perkins -LS, Leica, Virginia
- Reed Adams - LS, Statewide Program Manager, VDOT, Richmond, Virginia
Classroom: VCU Globe Student Housing -West Grace North, 830 W.Grace Street, Classrooms: 1030GC, 1030CA & 1030J; Campus of Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia 23284. VCU Classrooms do not open until 7:30am
Contact: Shelly Schuetz, OCPE Program Manager, (804) 828-1322, firstname.lastname@example.org
VCU has overnight rooms available onsite. Lodging consists of double occupancy dorm rooms in an on-campus college dormitory. Linens are provided by the college, but you will need to bring your own pillow(s)!!!. Registrations for onsite rooms are included as part of the overall registration for the School and should be made through the VAS office by 6/09/2020. All persons attending the John Foster School must complete a few necessary forms that can be found by,(click here for document one, click here for document 2). Completed forms should be faxed to the VAS office at 844-878-4973 with a note saying ATT Khea Adams, and emailed to VCU at email@example.com by June 16.
Parking passes will be provided. An email will be sent to all registrants a week before class alerting them of their specific parking location and process.
$600-Per Course/ per person WITHOUT onsite lodging. Fee includes a Continental Breakfast, Lunch, Breaks and Handouts every day. Registration deadline June 16, 2020
$700- Per Course/ per person WITH onsite lodging for four nights. Fee includes, Continental Breakfast, Lunch, Breaks and Handouts every day. Room assignments by VCU a week prior to Check in & Key pickup.
Partial or Full Scholarships maybe available to Virginia Residents. Click here to visit our Scholarships page. Only fill out the applicable sections. School transcripts are not required. June 9, 2020 is the deadline for filing applications for consideration The Trust will determine the amount of scholarship based on the total applications and then forward that money to the John Foster School Administrators in the applicant's name. If you have applied for the John Foster Scholarship and are signing up for the John Foster School, complete the registration and select "pay by check" in the payment section. DO NOT send your payment until VAS notifies you if you received a scholarship.
*If you would like to mail in your registration form click here