These pictures were taken at the VAS Annual Meeting luncheon on January 27, 1962 – 57 years ago. That luncheon was held in the South Dining Room, on the main floor of the Williamsburg Lodge. At that time, the Lodge had not yet expanded into being the principal convention center that it is now.
Our luncheon speaker on that occasion was Delegate James Thomson (Alexandria), one of the two Patrons on our landmark legislation enacted in 1958 that provided for the initial version of our “b” license. Another of our special guests was Delegate Russell Carneal (Williamsburg), who was the other Patron on that legislation. VAS also was privileged to have as another special guest on that occasion Bro. B. Austin Barry, President of ACSM.
In this picture, from left to right, are Cecil J. Cross, VAS 1-year Director; J. Walter Jones, VAS Vice President; B. Austin Barry, President ACSM; Merlin F. McLaughlin, VAS President; Delegate Russell Carneal; Delegate James M. Thomson; and Herman Courson, VAS Secretary-Treasurer.
This picture is of Del. James Thomson, taken
as he delivered his address to the assembly of
land surveyors at that 1962 VAS Annual Meeting.