Board of Directors Meeting Recap
Thursday, January 31, 2019
Posted by: Khea Adams
The VAS Board of Directors met on Saturday, January 26, 2019 in Fredericksburg to discuss and act on matters of importance to the association and the surveying profession in Virginia.
Among the highlights of the meeting:
· The Council of Past Presidents reported, and the Board accepted, a slate of candidates for VAS officers. A ballot will be emailed to all members in good standing during the month of February. Elections results will be reported in early April and new officers will be installed at the awards banquet during the Annual Convention, April 24-27, 2019 at the Hyatt Regency Dulles Hotel, Herndon, VA.
· A comprehensive set of revisions to the VAS bylaws has been approved by the Board for ratification by the membership. The proposed revision will be sent to all members and a vote will occur at the annual meeting during the convention on Saturday, April 27 in Herndon, VA.
· Among the bills in the General Assembly being tracked by the Legislative Committee are HB 1649/SB 1594 Use of GIS boundaries for localities; HB 2316 GIS boundary for Caroline & Essex counties; HB 2099 Deregulation of certain professions; HB 2112 Restrict pipeline survey right of entry; HB 2198 Exempt small localities from QBS; HB 1796 Permit bidding of professional services; and HB 2101 Deregulation of the practice of landscape architects, soil scientists, and waste management facility operators.
· Applications of fifteen (15) new members were accepted and approved by the Board.
· It was reported that the exhibit hall for the 2019 Annual Convention is sold out and most sponsorships are sold out.
· Upcoming quarterly seminars and board meetings are set for Summer on June 21-22, 2019 at the Stonewall Jackson Hotel in Staunton, VA, hosted by the Monticello Chapter and Fall on September 20-21, 2019 in Manassas, VA, hosted by the Bull Run Chapter.
· The Fundamental of GIS seminar, held in Fredericksburg the previous day, Friday, January 25, was sold out.
· A pilot project carried out by the VAS staff with the Mount Vernon Chapter to use the VAS website for accepting and processing registrations for a chapter event, the December, 2018 Mount Vernon Chapter education workshop and holiday dinner was a success and the Board approved making this available to all chapters.
· The Plat Competition entry form is open on the VAS website for judging and presentation of winners at the Annual Convention.
· A Certified Survey Technician (CST) exam prep class will be offered at the Annual Convention. Registration will be accepted through the VAS website as a convention registration.
· The 2019 VA State Licensing Exam Review Class will be offered March 26-29, 2019 in Richmond (Sandston), VA and registration is now open on the VAS website. The John Foster School will be held July 23-26, 2019 at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, VA.
· In 2018, there were approximately 40 students in the VAS John Foster School and 40 students enrolled in the Apprenticeship program in Fairfax County, meaning there are 80 future surveyors who will soon be entering the profession in Virginia.